About my Dad


Edwin J. McDermott, Esq.
1907-1978

Recently, I have been missing my Dad. A lot. I think of him now, especially while I am swimming laps, remembering the simple, loose, lined '60's swim trunks he wore in olive green or khaki.

Approaching Father's Day, rather than compose some sentimental essay, I am making a list of random facts about him, as they come to mind. The massively interesting, good stuff I remember. Okay, here goes.
He
  • was once arrested on Atlantic City beach for bathing without a top on.
  • had just come back from horseback riding on Atlantic City beach when he heard the news that Pearl Harbor had been bombed.
  • taught Naval officers accounting at Penn during WWII.
  • was one of the youngest lawyers to go before the Supreme Court of the United States in 1932 at the age of 24. 
  • graduated third in his class, Order of the Coif, at University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1930.
  • entered St. Joseph's College in 1927, at the age of 15.
  • rowed single scull on the Schulykill River.
  • regularly bought records from Sam Goody at his first record shop on 9th Avenue in NYC, relying on Sam for au courant recommendations.
  • said, "Here. I understand that you should listen to this." while handing me a copy of Meet the Beatles.
  • taught me how to work an amplifier and tone arm...read more

2 comments:

joshemari said...

Suzanne, te felicito por ese gran padre que con tanto amor describes.
En España hay un dicho que dice: "de tal palo, tal astilla", que quiere decir, que de un gran padre vendrá una gran hija.
Me siento orgulloso de verte tan feliz recordando su vida y sus éxitos.
Un beso, buena amiga!

Suzanne McDermott said...

I treasure you, Josehmari! You are a good man and I appreciate your talent, loving heart and generosity. BIG hug and kiss right back at'cha. XO