Stroke and Flow


PURE POTENTIAL

Back when I first started my eZine, Stroke and Flow, in early 2011, I was recovering from a 12' fall that could easily have left me dead or paralyzed. It was nothing short of a miracle that I picked myself up off the floor with only a severe sprain and several fractures to my left foot and ankle.

One thing that helped with my early healing was daily laps in the neighborhood pool. Swimming is really my "sport", so the daily swims were as much a pleasure as they were a therapy.

One day, as I was swimming, I thought about how much the action of swimming is like drawing, watercolor and, in general, the creative process.

Stroke
  • Taking intentional action. Initiating momentum.
  • In swimming, You move your arms and/or legs. Initiate momentum. 
  • In drawing and watercolor. You make a mark. Initiate momentum.
Flow
  • Allowing energetic movement without interference. 
  • In swimming, you allow the water, activated by your stroke, to move you forward. 
  • In drawing and especially in watercolor, you allow the momentum of your initial mark, and the interaction of the water, pigment and paper to generate an image.
There are many, many analogies, and ways to expand upon the concept, but that's it in a nutshell.

Somewhere in the stroke and flow of laps one day, I was inspired with the title for this eZine.  Sign up for your very own membership in the sidebar.

Hesitation

It's daunting as all get out to start a new endeavor, to face a blank page, not feel at all confident about your abilities.

You can think about what you want to do, you can talk about what you want to do, you can worry about what other people will think about what you want to do, or you can do it.

Some of my students come to me with a list of questions before committing to my online courses. There's a lot of hesitation, resistance.

Everyone is unsure when they first come into the course. What will other people think? I'm not good enough. I need to know exactly how this works and exactly how it's all going to turn out.

The value of this course is best expressed by the (fabulous, generous, committed) students who have worked with me. Click here to read their testimonials.

You can read the FAQ by clicking here.

If you still have doubts and reservations but feel drawn to this course, you're welcome to email me with specific questions.
"The elders say we must let go of the shore, and push off and into the river, keep our eyes open, and our head above the water."
—Hopi Nation, Oraibi, Arizona
Take the Plunge

Join us for my 2014 Online Drawing + Watercolor Course.

CLICK HERE to read all about it—SEE HERE NOW 2014.

As always, if you have questions, just get in touch!

This is the only time I'm offering the full course this year.  We have a new membership site! I'm shepherding this year's group through the entire course at close hand to make sure that every last detail is working. It's the last time to work with my direct one-on-one coaching as part of the context of this course (as these small groups allow.) Now's the time to sign up if you've been thinking of it. I'd love to work with you!
"It is always the start that requires the greatest effort."
― James Cash Penney
____________________________________________

Join my Tribe and receive ongoing inspiration
  • Creative Wake Up eBook
  • with bonus song download
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow
   


2 comments:

joshemari said...

Hola Suzanne, Acabo de enterarme que tuviste un accidente o enfermedad por el que has luchado y vencido, gracias al dibujo y a la pintura. Te felicito de todo corazón, por el éxito alcanzado. Eres una gran artista, una mujer fuerte y siempre te he admirado mucho. Bravo!
Un beso.

Suzanne McDermott said...

I love you, Joshemari! I'm so glad that you're in the world and that our paths have crossed. Thanks for being such a great correspondent. XO