See Here Now

at NOFO

I just installed a show at NOFO, a fabulous gift store and café at Five Points in Raleigh.

While documenting the show, I thought.... Hmmmm....something's missing. I need some human interest. Young Liam agreed to a photo shoot. (Below is one of the few photos without his fingers in his mouth trying to make weird faces.)
“The heart surrenders everything to the moment. The mind judges and holds back.”
― Ram Dass
See Here Now

Last week I wrote about my dramatic fall, and about how swimming helped my early healing process.

Another thing that helped me heal was throwing myself into teaching (while rather ungracefully gimping around the studio),

By late spring (I fell the day before Super Bowl Sunday), I began creating my online drawing and watercolor course. I knew what I was doing but I didn't know where it would lead. I did not know all the wonderful people I've had the honor and delight of guiding through the course and the little miracles that would unfold.

Aside from developing technical coordination and prowess, the greatest challenge students face in the course is their thinking.

When we think too much (and that goes for me, too), we interfere with the magical creative flow. We interrupt the force.

Drawing is all about seeing and watercolor is all about relationship. Through step by step exercises and practice, practice, practice, we learn to bypass our busy minds and allow ourselves to be here now. When we get into the flow, we experience true meditation in action. That's why See Here Now is a course in personal transformation. The experience of the drawing and watercolor lessons naturally seeps into our experience and behavior in every day living.
"I was sitting in front of my mother one night at the age of 17 or 18, and I looked at her and thought, “I’d like to do her portrait.” I’d never done her portrait before. And you know what happens when your mind shifts into drawing mode—you suddenly see something for the first time. And I realized as I decided to draw that I had absolutely no idea what she looked like. The image of her appearance had impressed itself on my mind probably when I was 3 years old, and it hadn’t changed very much. I was able to see her only because I made the decision to draw her."
― Milton Glaser
See the world for the first time

Join us for my 2014 Online Drawing + Watercolor Course.

CLICK HERE to read all about it—SEE HERE NOW 2014.

As always, if you have questions, just get in touch!

This is the only time I'm offering the full course this year. We have a new membership site!. I'm shepherding this year's group through the entire course at close hand to make sure that every last detail is working. It's the last time to work with my direct one-on-one coaching as part of the context of this course (as these small groups allow.) Now's the time to sign up if you've been thinking of it. I'd love to work with you!
"I am a great advocate of drawing, not in order to become an illustrator, but because I believe drawing changes the brain... Drawing also makes you attentive. It makes you pay attention to what you are looking at which is not easy."
Milton Glaser
____________________________________________

Join my Tribe and receive ongoing inspiration
  • Creative Wake Up eBook
  • with bonus song download
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow
   


No comments: