Ask For Help

Give and Receive
Watercolor, 5 x 7
“When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream."
― John Lennon
Ask for help

Within a few weeks of my move to Raleigh, my car broke down on a Saturday at noon, far from my temporary digs. I had no choice. I had to ask for help.

First I asked two men who were gabbing nearby. They came over and one made an educated guess about the problem which made sense. I called a tow truck.

On the way to the mechanic's, the (awesome) tow truck driver bragged (with good reason) about his children and, after parking my car outside the (closed) garage gates, drove me home because he thought it was too far for me to walk.

With paintings to frame and a show to install in a matter of days, I had a bunch of errands to run and the small matter of hauling my work to the gallery. I cobbled together a list of numbers and started making calls.

Complete strangers were more than happy to pick up and drop something off for me and to give me a lift and to help me haul my work to the gallery and to drive me home. I was passed from one helping hand to another, safely and sound, met some really great people and had fun getting to know each of them a little.

Here's what I was once again reminded of:

• We're all part of the same energetic fabric.
• Asking for, giving and allowing ourselves to receive help stitches and weaves that unfurling energetic fabric.
• We might hesitate to ask for help because we're afraid (that we'll look weak, stupid or become indebted.)
• When we're afraid to ask for, or to give help, we create a snag or a rip in that magical fabric of life (could fall through!)
• Helping others makes us feel really good.

The next time you need help and discover that you're afraid to ask for it, summon up your courage, pick up the phone or knock on a door and open your mouth to ask.

Asking for help is an opportunity for adventure, fun, socializing, friendship and... a way to help someone else feel good.

Please and Thank You

Okay, so here's what I need help with.

My goal right now is to build my mailing list. If you appreciate my posts from over the years or now, for the first time here's how you can help.

Share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterst, Google+, LInkedin, wherever or by email by clicking on the share buttons below this post or by cutting and pasting the url (http://www.suzannemcdermott.com/).

and/or, HERE'S ANOTHER GREAT WAY:

Tell 10 Friends

to get their complimentary copy of my ebook, Creative Wake Up by visiting this link: http://www.suzannemcdermott.com/p/creative-wake-up.html (which you can cut and paste into email or Facebook or whatever.)

If you enjoy my watercolors and writing, please share with as many people as you can think of.

I'm grateful that you're reading and for any efforts to help me meet my goal!
“You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want."
― Zig Ziglar
____________________________________________

Join my Tribe and receive ongoing inspiration
  • Creative Wake Up eBook
  • with bonus song download
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow
   


No comments: