How to climb a mountain


Embroiled in several writing projects, teaching and wo-manning my booth at the local art market, I've been putting off posting at this site for lack of text. But I have journal entries to show! So, I'll post these between longer textual affairs.

This pen and ink and wash reminds me of one of my most favorite quotes by the Scottish explorer, W. H. Murray. In his 1951 book, The Scottish Himalayan Expedition, he writes about the beginnings of his expedition —
"But when I said that nothing had been done I erred in one important matter. We had definitely committed ourselves and were halfway out of our ruts. We had put down our passage money–booked a sailing to Bombay. This may sound too simple, but is great in consequence. Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!"
Words to remember. Go for it!
____________________________________________

Join my Tribe and receive ongoing inspiration
  • Drawing Lesson
  • Song Download (Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow
   

2 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Lovely sketch, and great to be reminded of that quote too. Thanks for your recent visit - your Wm.Kentridge caricature is excellent! Blogging on the back burner with other things on the go, but will be back xxx

Suzanne McDermott said...

Cathy, my dear! How awesome to hear from you. Your new profile pic is gorgeous. I send you much love across the waves. XO