Who Made the World?


Order of the Golden Dawn
Watercolor, 8 x 8

Greetings on the Summer Solstice! 

Today the sun stands still and gives us our longest day. This natural marker combined with yesterday's new moon gives us great opportunity to consider ways in which we might prefer to spend our hours; what dreams we have yet to fulfill.

Now is (always) the perfect moment. The sun will start it's course to shorter days as the moon begins to wax.

I'm reminded of Mary Oliver's poem, The Summer's Day. I spent a day with Mary Oliver at a seminar a few years back and had the pleasure of one-on-one with her during her smoke breaks on the balcony. I was able tell her how much her work has meant to me. Here's her summer poem.

The Summer Day

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?


From New and Selected Poems, 1992
Beacon Press, Boston, MA ©1992 by Mary Oliver

________________

 Online Drawing + Watercolor Course starts July 12

If you've been wanting to draw and watercolor but have been putting it off for one reason or another... now's your chance to get started! Join me for a transformative online experience.

Not so sure? Give it a try for 8 weeks and get the basics.

Need some financial help? You can easily spread your payments over a couple of months or more!

Register now for my online course in drawing and watercolor, See Here Now and learn to observe and commune with deeper attention this precious life.

Transform yourself with drawing and watercolor. It's a great experience!


____________________________________________
Join my Tribe and receive a gift pack of inspiration
  • Drawing Lesson
  • Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow

Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course

2 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

On our Winter Solstice - I'm loving your warm gold-green painting and the words of Mary Oliver, one of my favourites. Sorry to have been so scarce lately, but looking in here is always a joy, whether I have time to comment or not.

Candy said...

I like Order of the Golden Dawn. Your sky is gorgeous. I love this time of year - perfect choice of a poem.