Time and Distance

Time and Distance
Watercolor, 2011
9 x 10.5 inches (unmatted)
$450
email me to purchase

No beginning and no end.

At the outset of my K-12 Catholic schooling, I learned that god has no beginning and no end.

Night after night, I would lie in bed and imagine going all the way, all the way forward in time until I ran out of patience. Then, snapping like a rubber band, I zoomed back through AD into BC and all the way, all the way... until I grew tired with that direction. Forth and back and back and forth I went until I fell to sleep.

About the same time, I began scrawling my name onto the endpapers of my father's volumes of Arnold Toynbee's Study of History. My father would sit me on his lap and tell me about how civilizations might form, develop (or not), mature (or not), grow old and die.

Mix those things up with choice episodes of The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone and it's no surprise that I've been mulling over the nature and idea of time for most of my life.

So, it wasn't a stretch when I looked at this finished painting and arrived at the title. In fact, I arrived at the title as I looked at the painting upside down.

This is one of the rare paintings that works both right side up and upside down.

Distance and Time while upside down?


____________________________________________

Enjoy this post? Subscribe now!

Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle
| More

Join my Tribe and receive a FREE package of inspiration

  • Free Drawing Lesson
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow




Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

2 comments:

Hey-zel Mamaril said...

OMG. I LOVE THIS SUZANNE. I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN HOW MUCH I FELL FOR THIS PAINTING. THE COLORS ARE SPEAKING TO ME. :')

mycouponbasket said...

This is a master-piece, I tel you. Keep it up.