Cuban Float


Cuban Float
Watercolor, 8 x 9 inches

Nunjabi Book I

I was looking through Diana Nyad's blog on Sunday as she prepared to swim from Cuba to Florida. At 61. Without a shark tank. I couldn't help but notice the Cuban skies in the photos. That's my inspiration.

I looked at my palette and thought, not with those colors! I've hung onto my palette color arrangement for way too long. I'm sick of it!

Right now, in my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course we're concentrating on palette colors and mixing. Palette choice and mixing are on my mind in a bigger than usual way. So, I grabbed a couple boxes of paint tubes and rather unceremoniously rifled through them looking for a cure.

Here's what I came up with:
(All M. Graham except for last Old Holland) Cadmium Yellow Light (love it!), Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Teal, Viridian, Quinacridone Rose and Old Holland King's Blue Deep.


Oooh! I want to put aside all my teaching and computer work and paint the days away. I'll make another with this group and predict a change is a comin' in my big palette. ____________________________________________
Enjoy this post? Please subscribe right now!

Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle

| More

Join my Tribe and receive a FREE package of inspiration

  • Free Drawing Lessons
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow





Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

8 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Gorgeous colors - I, too, hold on to the same colors too long - but love Rhodonite Genuine from Daniel Smith (which I don't use enough) and Cobalt Teal or Ultramarine Turquoise, too - yummy colors!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thank you, Rhonda. Yummy colors all but it really depends on who else they play with. I am definitely switching off to the M. Graham Cad Ylw light for now. And I've missed the Cobalt Teal. Haven't used it since Glade Shade.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

I love this happy, wishful, everything is going to be alright, go for it painting! Well, that's what I see when I look at it :) But, do I understand correctly and it's in a book? If so, I'm bummed. I want it!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hi Pam! Glad you love it. Yes, all of these Nunjabis are in a book. However, I'm thinking of what to do with it/them when the book is complete. I've been wanting to mount my watercolors for a long time now. At the end of this series, I may disassemble the book, mount them and then sell them. Shall I pencil you in for this one?

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

You bet! I'll keep my Happy $ tucked away :)

Suzanne McDermott said...

Okay! Cuban Float is officially spoken for.

Double "D" said...

I wish I had your eye for color and the courage to do your impressions of things. Umm, I may try painting blindfolded. Have a standby mind the color and water.
I really love the sky in this one. Keep sneaking these little paintings in and I know that better days are coming.
Doug

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hey Doug! Thank you - as always. Just to clarify... Better days are here, I'm just under a ridiculous work load. But it's temporary (like everything else) and I love what I'm doing.

On top of that, I'm walking again pretty well and sometimes my limp even disappears. One day in the not too distant future I'll think, Hey! I'm not limping any more!

That I'm walking at all is awesome!