As above, so below


As above, so below
Watercolor, 8 x 9 inches

Nunjabi Book I

As I worked on the field of sky in this painting, my mind kept chanting, "As above, so below. As above, so below." Well, I thought, there's the title!

I can't remember when I used to regularly hear this phrase... was it my mother? My husband? Whoever it was that repeated it, whenever that was, it was often and during a formative phase. The phrase has stuck with me. And I'm glad. Cause it's true.

As above, so below
"The quote is one of the seven principles of Hermeticism. Briefly, it tells us that things which appear to be very different have attributes that are actually quite similar. It also tells us that by studying one thing we can learn about something else. That, for example, is exactly what statistical samples are all about. By examining a small portion of a population, a determination can be made as to what those same attributes are for the entire population." —John V
I cannot speak to statistics (thank god), but having worked in a number of different fields and expressive forms, I can say with absolute certainty that by studying one thing, I have learned about something else.

This is the beauty of breadth in education. The non-specialized mind becomes able to draw unusual analogies and build bridges to new solutions that are truly "outside the box."
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post? Please subscribe right now!

Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle

| More

Join my Tribe to receive my FREE weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


(Click here to read a sample issue!)

Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

2 comments:

Double "D" said...

O my gosh! Suzanne, you are truly amazing. I tried to read and understand your words but I truly understand this painting. It has wonderful dancing colors and fantasy well beyond spectacular. A new all time favorite for me. It would seem you've been rejuvenated with joy and love. I see it and feel it.

Can't wait for the next one.

Doug

Suzanne McDermott said...

Well, thank you very much, Mr. Doug! I truly appreciate your comments (as always).