It's Iris Time in Tennessee

Iris
Ink and marker, 8 x 10 inches


Irises have popped open their gorgeous, fragile blossoms at the bottom of my drive. I cut a few for a lecture on drawing I gave last Saturday and made a scribbly sketch during the lecture. Ever since, every time I spied it, I thought... must get my markers out. And finally, today, I did!

It's very, very pretty in Tennessee right now. Reminds me of a song...

When It's Iris Time In Tennessee
Written by Willa Waid Newman

Sweetness of Spring memories bring
Of a place I long to be.
Land of Sunshine calls this old heart of mine,
Come back to Tennessee.

Rocks and the rills deep tinted hills,
Three's no spot so dear to me.
Where'er I roam still it's my Home Sweet Home,
My own, my Tennessee.

When it's Iris time down in Tennessee,
I'll be coming back to stay
Where the mockingbird sings at the break of day
A lilting love song gay.
Where the Iris grows,
Where the Harpeth flows,
That is where I long to be.
There's a picture there that lives in memory
When it's Iris time in Tennessee.


This song was adopted in 1935 by the 69th General Assembly in Chapter 154 of the Public Acts as the State Song of Tennessee.

I wrote a state song a few years back for another state. Click here to learn more!

Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.
____________________________________________

Enjoy this post? Subscribe now!

Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle
| More

Join my Tribe and receive a FREE package of inspiration
  • Free Drawing Lesson eBook
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

8 comments:

Hazel said...

AHAHA. I think I heard the song before. =D

Wonderful drawing Suzanne! Did you use pen and markers?

Suzanne McDermott said...

Yes, Hazel... I did use pen and markers. Thanks for reminding me to add that fact. Me, I've never heard the song but did come across sheet music for it once. XO

Mary said...

Suzanne, I just LOVE your blog. You share so many creative arts and thoughts. This drawing has a wonderful fresh, vibrant quality. Thank you, too, for your healing advice. I may need a consultation sometime for a bum hip :>).

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hi, Mary! Thanks for your comment — boy did I need to hear something like that today! Sorry to hear about the bum hip (they're going around!). Gentle yoga is always a good place to start. Swimming, too! Hope to hear from you again soon.

RH Carpenter said...

We don't get iris until May so I'm pleasantly surprised to see this fresh beauty on your post today :) We do have plenty of tulips and the hyacinths have come and gone (mostly).

Suzanne McDermott said...

Yes, I think the tulips have come and gone here, too, along with the daffodils and hyacinth. My pathway garden to the studio is bursting with pansies and salvia and herbs and lilies. Must show somehow on blog. It's quite stunning and worth all the work I put in last November. Love your new profile pic.

joshemari said...

Bravo, Suzanne!!! Fantastique cet iris!!! Et ces couleurs!!
Bises.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Merci, merci! So lovely - as always - to hear from you. XO