Radical Healing

Overgrown
Watercolor, 9 x 12 inches
$75

Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
        —Hippocrates
The word Radical comes from the Latin radicalis —"of or pertaining to the root, having roots”. The origin of Radicalis is the Latin radix, meaning "root”.

Getting down to the bottom of it is what this particular healing journey is all about. Sure, it's my foot — the root of my physical structure. But because the foot fracture is particularly difficult to heal, I've had to take a get down to the bottom of it approach to recovery.

You may remember from a previous post that I was told by an orthopedic surgeon that there was nothing I could do to help heal my Jones Fracture. Nothing is impossible. I proceeded on a personal research project and assembled an internal and topical wholistic regime comprised of herbs and oils and massage and nutrition, rest and non-weight bearing exercise, energy work, a mental and emotional approach, and allowing...

In drawing, and in watercolor, I teach my students to look at the whole before focusing on any part; to perceive a subject in context and to approach their drawing or watercolor in the same manner. I have taken this same approach to healing my foot and ankle.

If 2010 was about transition, (and, for me, it was), 2011 is all about transformation.

The first month of this year I spent cleaning, clearing and renovating my space. Wow, I thought, I've de-cluttered, Feng Shui'd and upleveled my space. I'm ready for advancement!

And then, my traumatic fall. A crisis.

The Chinese symbol for Crisis is composed of two characters: Danger and Opportunity.


From the start, I have taken the opportunity of this injury to be grateful for my life, to be cheerful, to look at the bright side — at the positive lessons this crisis has provided me.

There are no accidents in life. For me, life is school for the soul. Experiences are lessons. Trauma, or crisis, provides a particular set of problems. How we approach those problems, how we approach, consider, and work with solutions to those problems, is how our soul, our spirit, finds an opportunity to develop, to evolve.

Definitions for the word root include
  • that which anchors the plant to the ground
  • beginning: the place where something begins, where it springs into being
  • take root and begin to grow
  • come into existence, originate
  • solution: the set of values that give a true statement when substituted into an equation
  • settle: become settled or established and stable in one's residence or life style; "He finally settled down"
Any time someone tries to sympathize with me in such a way that suggests my injury is a bad thing, I immediately respond that this injury is a blessing in so many more ways than it is a challenge... that this injury saved my life.

My therapeutic approach to healing this injury has provided me the opportunity to clear out a lot of energetic and lifestyle clutter. As with our living and working space, the first step to cleaning up our act is to clear the clutter. I did that in January.

Ever since, I've been working on my energetic and nutritional clutter to help heal my foot and ankle. It's working!

On a follow up visit to my doctor this morning, a new set of foot and ankle x-rays were taken. What the doctor first said was a 50-50 chance of healing at all (my Jones Fracture), is healing quickly and nicely. Before the x-rays, I mentioned that I thought I might also have a fracture of the medial tibia, so an ankle x-ray was added. Sure enough, the inside of my tibia is cracked from mid-calf to ankle. The doctor said that I'm already treating the ankle fracture as I'm treating the foot fracture.

I'm so pleased that the healing is coming along so well and that the injury is giving me the opportunity to work, in a radical way, with my health and life style.

More on my approach to healing in the next post.
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

4 comments:

caseytoussaint said...

You are truly an inspiring person, Suzanne. It's true that almost everything in our lives has a positive side, but it takes someone very special to see that, especially while in pain. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Dawn said...

I miss you too Suzanne! I am on facebook now. I dont blog much if at all.
Glad you are doing so well with your recovery, inside and out!

trying to paint everyday and I am going to Indiana to visit Sandy Mauldlin for a paintcation, cannot wait.
Keep on healing my friend!

RH Carpenter said...

This is a wonderful post, Suzanne, and so glad there is healing (where the doctors were so pessimistic).

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thank you all! This process is fun and I'm enjoying it immensely! XO