Bless


Bless
Watercolor, 5 x 7 inches
$150 —email me to purchase


As I wondered what to call this, I piled my etymological references, thesauruses and dictionaries around me on the daybed. One thing led to another. I found my way to "bless".

Did you know (I didn't) that the word "bless" occurs only in the English language? C'est vrai!

Originally, it meant to mark (or consecrate) with blood (hence, my title), and probably goes back to a prehistoric Germanic formation which worked its way into Middle English and through to Modern English today.

I thought that to bless meant to remove sin or make pure. So, I also did not know that to bless means to "make happy, confer prosperity or happiness upon." I suppose it's the same thing, more or less...

May this painting make you happy and prosperous!

____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle

| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

4 comments:

Hazel said...

OMG! Really?
Well, we're blessed to have the word then! xD
Beautiful painting Suzanne! I like the way the red looks!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Really!

Cathy Gatland said...

Happy, yes... prosperous, I hope so. Gorgeous colours!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks, Cathy! Back from Barcelona? I'll have to check.