The Point of Repose

"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it." —Tori Amos
Like the learning curve, the progression of any sort of healing is not a consistent and direct gain. Healing is fraught with plateaus, steps backwards and emotional pitfalls.

So far, I've been buoyed by busyness... doctor appointments, research and accumulation of "medicines", teaching annual evening classes, giving a new lecture, making the house safe for hobbling, the perennial chore of cleaning the studio, and god knows what else. It feels like I've been resting a lot and for one or two days now and then, I have pretty much just laid up. But it also feels like I've been cruising on momentum that was in swing before my accident.

Finally, two days ago, it was all I could do to get from the bedroom to the living room. Although I have been in good spirits all along, this morning, the emotional bottom fell out. Only to be expected...

Like it or not, these experiences are part of the healing process. So, I'm surrendering to this day's experience. I am also noticing how one negative thought leads to another.

Rather than do battle with the negative thoughts (trying to replace them with positive thoughts), I'm just letting them flow without letting them stick. Just writing that makes me smile!

And, I'm taking action. Little actions, but actions nonetheless. Like sharing this unusually intimate post with photos. We've all been there (here) and something about sharing a universal experience helps to dissipate the less enjoyable qualities. Thank you for letting me share. I'm sure that I'll be back to my old self soon.

Or, here's a thought: Maybe this is a part of my old self that I am choosing to let go of through this particular healing process. I kind of like this idea. Today's experience is just the death throes of some old negativity.

Now, a bit of sweet to counteract the gall.  After showing folks around the house in my last post, a few friends asked "Where are the cats?"  Well, here they are:


and here.


Joining me in repose.




All right. I'm going to go clean up the studio. It's the last task to cross off on my long list of chores. I'll probably perk right up when I'm finished.

Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.
____________________________________________

Enjoy this post? Subscribe now!

Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle
| More

Join my Tribe and receive a FREE package of inspiration
  • Free Drawing Lesson eBook
  • Free Song Download (my well-loved Great Day)
  • and my Weekly eZine Stroke and Flow


Learn about my Online Drawing and Watercolor Course.

9 comments:

Olivia said...

Take car of you Suzanne !Bises.

Olivia said...

man care before car :)

Olivia said...

mean care, you understood ;))

Suzanne McDermott said...

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!! See? Already, I'm laughing. Thanks for the good cheer, Olivia. XO

RH Carpenter said...

You have such a clear head, Suzanne. I like how you are not fighting against the negative but letting the thoughts flow without getting stuck anywhere inside :) Perfect!! And love the little cats who say, "What's wrong with just lying around and enjoying resting and relaxing - like a cat?"

Suzanne McDermott said...

Ah, what's wrong with it, indeed!

Nancie Johnson said...

Sometimes we need time to regroup ourselves. Let it flow without sticking - I like that term a lot!

You said "Maybe this is a part of my old self that I am choosing to let go of through this particular healing process." Curious. Have you read The Nature of Personal Reality: A Seth Book? If not, you may find it interesting.

Hang in there!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Nancie! How nice to hear from you. Well, letting it flow without sticking is the essence of non-attachment. My brother translated it as "This, too, shall pass."

I wasn't big into Seth books but have been deeply involved in Buddhism, Shambhala Training, Pema Chodron, Eckhart Tolle, Abraham, and more.

I thought I'd already regrouped but the broken foot/ankle sprain is teaching me how much more regrouping I need!

joshemari said...

Suzanne, perdóname que te escriba en Español. Seguramente podrás traducir a través de Google.
No sé lo que te ha sucedido... un accidente? Quiero enviarte muchos ánimos para volver a ser la Suzanne de siempre.
Como te dije en un post de contestación a mi blog, en estas fotos estás muy bella. Très belle!
Cuídate y recupérate pronto. Te necesitamos!!!!!!
Un beso.