My Left Foot

My Left Foot
Ball point pen, 7 x 10

I sketched this during class on Saturday morning as my students drew through their exercises. They could see that I was drawing but not what it was I was looking at.

Even when I held it up at the end of class, it took them a while to figure out. It's the orthopedic boot that protects and supports my now broken left foot and badly sprained ankle.

What? Yes. After a fall from 8 - 12 feet (depending on how I measure), I'm on crutches but glad to be alive. Although I've just completed week one of a 12-week recovery period and it takes me approximately an hour to move a glass of water across a room (I exaggerate, but not by much), I consider myself very, very fortunate.

Call me a cockeyed optimist (I am), but my foot and ankle injury literally saved my neck. If my foot had not caught in a 3-panel screen set up below the loft and broken my fall, I don't know what shape I'd be in, if any shape at all.

So, I count my blessings as I hobble from point to point. It's good to be reminded to do so though I recommend less dramatic reminders.

Count your blessings as often as you can remember. The practice of gratitude has a positive effect and anyway, it sure beats complaining!

____________________________________________

Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle

| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

8 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, Suzanne, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall and injury - but so glad you're well enough to be teaching and drawing again. When I saw this on the sidebar, I immediately thought of Frida Kahlo's corsets - those tortuous things she made beautiful in her paintings. I'm wishing you a very speedy recovery with less pain and problems every day. So glad you're still with us!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thank you, Rhonda.

Yes,still here and glad of it. Interesting about Kahlo. Wlll have to look those up.

Hazel said...

Before I read the post, I was staring at the picture and the title and endlessly wondered... HOW IS THAT A FOOT? xDD

I should have read the post before deeming over the picture, wow. I wasted 5 minutes trying to figure it out. Ahaha.

I even flipped my laptop to the sides, upside down to see if it would appear to be a foot like that. xD

Awww! I HOPE YOU FEEL OKAY! GET WELL SOON! <3

Suzanne McDermott said...

I know... It's weird looking, eh? I accept your good wishes. It's a healing journey. Love ya.

Cathy Gatland said...

Glad you're OK Suzanne, relatively speaking...thanks to your poor foot, hope it repairs quickly.

Mineke Reinders said...

That's scary Suzanne... but lucky at the same time that there was something there to break your fall. I wish you a good recovery and all the patience you need.

Suzanne McDermott said...

So great to hear from both of you, Cathy and Mineke... I've been such a stranger. I'm completely devoted to healig right now so I hope my devotion pays off. You're good wishes help. Many thanks.

Art with Liz said...

Wow Suzanne! Sometimes luck comes in strange guises! Keep your great positive side shining and draw that foot again when it's healed!