It's What's Inside That Counts

Graphite and ink, 7 x 10 inches

I'm not sure if anyone's foot has such stubby metatarsal bones. Mine certainly doesn't. They are much longer and more slender — as is my foot. Nonetheless, I drew this from X-rays of my left foot. I think I'll blame the drawing distortion on the codeine painkillers I took before I drew the thing. Nice to think of an excuse!

I thought it might be fun to share my healing journey. For my part, this may help me get back into the swing of regular blogging. Time will tell.

You can't see my wicked ankle sprain but you can see the two fractures at the base of my 5th metatarsal which is the long bone that runs from the little toe towards the ankle. The cracks point towards each other and almost form a triangle. This is called a "Jones Fracture" and is the most difficult fracture in the body to heal (so I'm told). It's difficult to heal because the bone is about as far away from the heart as it can be and bones require good blood circulation to stimulate cellular healing.

The orthopedic Doctor I was referred to said that there was nothing I could do to help the healing except to order a $3,000 + bone stimulator. Really? He had the rep from the company that makes the thing call me directly. Really. No, thank you.

Being the proactive creature that I am, I made some phone calls to accupressurist and herbalist friends around the country and did a lot of research on my own. I am siccing all of my creative juices on this little project.

I bought homeopathic arnica and arnica gel, an entire jar of dried comfrey (knitbone) leaves, comfrey root tincture, garlic and ginger capsules, Juniper, Rosemary and Wintergreen oil (already had Peppermint and Lavender on hand), and something else - I can't remember.

I'll fill you in on what I'm doing with all this stuff as these post ensue. For now, I am climbing down from the loft and hobbling inside to lay down and put my foot up after a good massage with an aromatic oil concoction.

____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

4 comments:

Hazel said...

OMG. I'm excited and intrigued to find out what you're going to do.
YOUR DRAWING IS AMAZING!!! SO MUCH DETAIL! =D

Art with Liz said...

Incredible drawing Suzanne! Go for the comfrey, but don't use fresh leaves directly on the skin! They are the best, but can burn the skin. (Black pepper essence in your oil base is a fantastic pain reliever, but MUST be used with care and understanding)

Suzanne McDermott said...

Me, too, Hazel! Thanks for the compliment.

Liz! Thanks... Not to worry about fresh comfrey leaves. None in these parts at this time of year. I have dried leaves and tincture of root. Interesting about the Black Pepper but I'll skip it this time as my medicine cabinet is full and bank account empty. Anyway, the pain is not so bad but the muscle spasms between ankle and hip are driving me nuts!

RH Carpenter said...

Ouch! I can see that break. I didn't know that about the blood supply and healing of bones. I'm glad you're taking care and researching and helping yourself heal. The healing power of art and music are always two to add to your medicine chest, too (but you already knew that). I'm going to send you some photos of Frida's corset and how she decorated it, etc. Just to show you that beauty can come from pain. Sending you lots of breezy, blue, light healing thoughts your way.