Winged Life


He who binds to himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy;
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity's sunrise.

— William Blake


I picked up some butterfly hitchers on my walk around Radnor Lake this morning. Six all together! They must have liked the ride or the scent of something I ate yesterday.

____________________________________________

Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle

| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America

9 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

They probably were just attracted to you and knew it would mean something to you to come visit for a while :) This one is definitely a jewel. Perhaps the butterflies are good omens for the coming week!

Suzanne McDermott said...

I love the idea that the butterflies wanted to hang with me and the augury of good things to come. A perfect comment for a Monday morning. Thank you very much, my dear!

Kiki said...

Beautiful and poetic..brilliant!
Kiki~

Suzanne McDermott said...

Ah, Kiki! You WOULD love the butterfly!

Kristin said...

Great poem! I don't think I've heard that one before. It's making me think...
Gorgeous butterfly, too!

Mineke Reinders said...

I think they liked you, Suzanne. I always think of them as good omens too. This is a real beauty.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks, Kristin. The poem is classic Blake!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Good omens they are, then! I'm happy to go with that.

I tried to identify this butterfly (there are loads of them at the lake) but couldn't (at least in the amount of time I had).

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks to Mineke for identifying this butterfly as a Red-spotted purple (Limenitis arthemis).