Corsica Door


after Matisse
Small Door of the Old Mill, Corsica, 1898
Watercolor pencil on Lana hot press paper, 7 x 10 inches

As a pre-announcement on my personal blog here, I'm very pleased to report that General Pencil is coming on board as a supporter/sponsor for Drawing America. A perfect partnership all around!

As we gear up for going live with this partnership, I've been trying out their products. To my absolute delight, I'm discovering what beautiful workmanship goes into creating the General Pencil graphite and watercolor pencils. I would never have guessed from the mild-mannered packaging.

Last week, I showed a drawing of Keen Newports made with the General Pencil Drawing Pencils pack and a few watercolor pencils used only for color. The other night, after another long day working on Drawing America, I plunged into a scribble fit with General Pencil's Watercolor Pencils to make the copy of an early Matisse (above). I'm wowed by the smooth application, the vivid eruption of color upon water application and the ease with which I can work back over dried layers.

Here's a thumbnail of the original Matisse:


I am so looking forward to working with these pencils more and more. It's just a matter of making the time in what is currently my very demanding schedule. Soon, I'll try out their pastel pencils. I can hardly wait.

Meanwhile, come on over to Drawing America. Read posts I've written on drawing in the US by all sorts of people.


4 comments:

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

That sponsorship sounds great, congrats Suzanne! Plus new goodies to play with never ever hurt, right? :D

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thank you, Teresa! Great to hear from you. New goodies are fun - especially when they're good goodies!

Hazel said...

Wow~! Congrats on the new partner ship. :D The painting looks amazing, specially the colors.

Cathy Gatland said...

The textures and colours in this are lovely Suzanne - great news on the sponsorship!