St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve

St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve Station
Watercolor, 5 x 8 inches


Here's where I stayed while on St. Joseph Bay. A college chum who manages the preserve invited me down to stay before the oil hit. Jean is a fire ecologist but there's a lot more to managing the preserve than fire. It's a huge job. This little watercolor sketch is going off to Jean as a small thanks for hosting me.

Learn about the St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve, and Aquatic Preserve —where you'll find a fabulous little video on the bay. Watch it — it's a beautiful description!

The preserve provides rooms to scientists studying various aspects of life in the Bay. The evening after my arrival, Brian, Jason and Katie came in from the Sarasota Dolphin Research Program at Mote Marine Lab to take pre-oil genetic and toxicological samples and make a count of the dolphin population in the bay. Read an Orlando Sentinel article about their work on St. Joseph Bay.

Two marine biology graduate students from University of Louisiana at Lafayette were also in house to study Ambidexter Symmetricus, a tiny shrimp that glows red at night. While I was there, another couple of grad students stayed over on their way to study a sea grass.

Staying in this study hostel on the bay was an extra-dimensional treat.

Visit me at Suzanne McDermott
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle

| More



6 comments:

Art with Liz said...

What a wonderful looking place and what a great gift for your friend!

Cathy Gatland said...

Suzanne, I haven't left a comment for ages, but I've so loved your sojourn to the sea, albeit with the underlying anxiety of the oil advancing and threatening this paradise. Thank you for your ever encouraging visits and sound, sane advice - your sketch of the crab a delightful portrayal of the truth of drawing being the way to seeing (also the way to being perhaps!) - it is so helpful to be reminded why I do what I do when I get frustrated by what I think it should be! If you see what i mean - sorry that was garbled!

RHCarpenter said...

The place sounds like the research center on San Salvadore Island in the Bahamas where my marine biology sweetie does his research every year - very basic, but teeming with life and humans studying and saving life. I think your painting is a wonderful gift for your friend!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks, Liz. It's a humble offering but the least I can do.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Cathy, glad to have you along and always happy to encourage. As for the truth of drawing - your comment is not at all garbled and hits the nail on the head. Drawing is the way to seeing and to being. That's why I'm working so hard on my business project and why I teach drawing and (probably) why we're friendly!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Rhonda, I didn't know that you're sweetie is a marine biologist. Hope you get to go along for a trip to San Salvadore soon!