On The Beach


During my visit, I kept flashing on the Nevil Shute novel, On The Beach and the film (not quite true to the novel) with Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astair and Tony Perkins in which the characters go about their day to day activities knowing that the end of the world is nigh.

As the oil moves outward, coastal residents proceed with a combo of daily activities, some preparations (I bought a stainless steel travel thermos at 40% off from a store in Apalachicola that had discounted everything), some trepidation and a lot of disbelief. Who can believe such enormous devastation is continuing unabated and that willing and ready national and international aid has to fight red tape and bureaucracy to provide help?

As my brief visit drew to a close I looked to the everyday shoreline details.

Gulls kicking back on the sand


Willets scampering ahead of my footfall


Shells propelled by Hermit crabs


Tiny, beautiful crabs tossed up, too delicate and stinky to gather for specimens


and, always, the water at my feet.

____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America

5 comments:

laura said...

Great, heartwrenching post, Suzanne. The photos are lovely, showing the fragile beauty that exists along our shorelines, and your text is right on: succinct and feeling. I'll be forwarding this to my friends!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks, Laura. Good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

all your photos Suzanne are so beautiful.

Dawn

Don Gray said...

I was scrolling these gorgeous photos with a mixture of joy at the fresh beauty of it all and an unnamed sense of dread in the pit of my stomach. Then I read your text..."On The Beach"--the perfect metaphor--those poignant, suspended moments before disaster strikes.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks so much for coming by, Don, and for your comments. I have been too much a stranger to your blog and have a lot of catching up to do. Will be by soon.