Near and Far


Standing on the beach in front of Cape San Blas Lighthouse at the crack of dawn, I watched these Brown Pelicans coming and going.


Just behind me, a Sea Turtle nest. This is the height of Sea Turtle nesting. Good souls patrol at dawn and sometimes overnight to check for crawl marks and new nesting sites, then mark the sites like so to protect them from disturbance.


Read about Sea Turtle nesting (video clips, too).

Read about the Cape San Blas Lighthouse where you'll find a map that shows you where I stood to take these photos.

Like this stretch of beach, a large percentage of wild acreage on St. Joseph Bay is owned and protected by the Air Force. Just to the left of the viewfinder I saw my first boom.

____________________________________________

Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle

| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America

8 comments:

Hazel said...

Wooooow~! :D

Olivia said...

I wake up with your photos Suzanne. That makes me feeling good to begin the day. Beauty and sweetness, that to ask furthermore?

RHCarpenter said...

So glad you're back up and running and back with us! I've been away just 2 days and this is the first blog I checked - wanted to see more photos and hear more about your experience...but I'll try to be patient :) Have a wonderful weekend!

Suzanne McDermott said...

It's beautiful, isn't it, Hazel?

Glad to help make a good start to your day, Olivia.

I'm glad to be up and running again, too Rhonda. Hard to believe it was only a matter of a few days!

RHCarpenter said...

I hope the newly hatched turtles survive as they take their first swim in that water. I can't imagine a world without turtles.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Before I left, I heard that these nests will be excavated and the turtle eggs moved to the Atlantic Coast. The turtles will not survive in the Gulf water affected by the oil. Because the newly hatched turtles follow a magnetic path and return to the same location year after year to nest, the question is what will happen when they hatch on the Atlantic coast. There are so many other factors, too, like water temperature and currents.

I feel deeply grateful that I encountered a loggerhead just out of arms reach last week!

Art with Liz said...

Such beautiful pictures Suzanne. Let's hope the same sights will return again year after year.

(I did a painting for your Gulf project, but haven't sent it to you.)

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hi Liz! I can't find email link on your blog (and I think I left a note) to say that I added your link with thanks at the Spirit of the Gulf Challenge page and facebook page. As for hope, well, you never know what's going to happen or... it ain't over till it's over.