Life and Death

On a friend's front walkway
above Otter Creek Road, Nashville, TN

"When you walk through a forest that has not been tamed and interfered with by man, you will see not only abundant life all around you, but you will also encounter fallen trees and decaying trunks, rotting leaves and decomposing matter at every step. Wherever you look, you will find death as well as life.

Upon closer scrutiny, however, you will discover that the decomposing tree trunk and rotting leaves not only give birth to new life, but are full of life themselves. Microorganisms are at work. Molecules are rearranging themselves. So death isn't to be found anywhere. There is only the metamorphosis of life forms. What can you learn from this?

Death is not the opposite of life. Life has no opposite. The opposite of death is birth. Life is eternal." —Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks
On Sunday night, I was made an offer I couldn't refuse and am on my way south to St. Joseph Bay State Buffer Preserve in Florida to make drawings and photos and probably some watercolors. Monitoring the oil movement, I cannot get down there fast enough. If I can find wifi, I'll share reports on site. If not, when I get back.

Read other posts in my ongoing series — Life is the First Art.
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.

3 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

Safe journey, Suzanne! Come back with lots of news and paintings.

Art with Liz said...

Dear Suzanne, beautiful post and come back from your trip with some good news. I have done a painting for your Spirit of the Gulf challenge and will now be able to post it as I have a new computer - the last one died a week ago and nothing could be rescued! You are truly amazing for actually getting down and doing something. I can remember washing penguins here in Cape Town and even through the pecked fingers, knew that I was contributing just that little bit. My thoughts are always with you.

Mineke Reinders said...

Safe travels Suzanne. Go where you need to go and do what you need to do. Take care and good luck with it!