Firefly Season

Firefly Season
Pastel, 9 x 12 inches


This pastel is not finished but I am finished with it. Yesterday I had a violently bad reaction to some sealant or finishing chemical the next door neighbors were using and have felt poisoned ever since. I just can't hack any more work with the pastels.

This week I learned that I should be wearing a mask and to never blow the loose pastel pigment off the paper. I donned gloves and took the paper outside to blow the surface but I don't expect to be wearing a mask to do artwork any time soon. Like, ever.

I wouldn't usually post something unfinished but this feels like the finish of a pastel chapter. At least for now.

Just as I decided to turn my attention locally, I received an invite to travel. More on that later...

____________________________________________

Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle

| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America

6 comments:

Mineke Reinders said...

It looks finished enough to me! Much as I love the creamy look and intense colors of pastel, I never could get along with it as a medium. The level of caution needed to work with it is just too inhibiting to enjoy the process. In other words: I love your results here and in earlier pieces, but I do understand about no more pastels.
Exciting news about upcoming travel ... can't wait to hear more.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Mineke, I so appreciate your sweet comments, especially the understanding about the caution required for the medium. That wasn't even on my radar when I started these experiments. Honestly - this little piece could be taken SO much farther. But that is not to be.

Running around now taking care of business and packing and cat sitter(s)... more to come.

RHCarpenter said...

I understand about the concerns - this stuff can be toxic and I've never gotten into it much because I have a tendency to blow the stuff around and don't have an air filter, etc...so why bother, right? I was going down to Gatlinburg to see the synchronous fireflies in June...but they are over now...and we have them in our own backyard so have just been enjoying them here. Hope you have a wonderful trip and get to soak in some beauty.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Synchronized fireflies? Wow.

As for pastels, I love to draw but I love color, too. So we'll see what comes next.

I'll be soaking in plenty of beauty where I'm going and hope to share some along the way.

Cathy Gatland said...

I never could get past the feeling of pastels on my fingers to go anywhere with them - just as well as I didn't realise they needed so many precautions! Its a pity for you, as your work with them is so vibrantly beautiful and expressive. Your travel opportunity sounds intriguing - look forward to hearing and seeing more.

RHCarpenter said...

Suzanne, you could always move into the colored pencil field - or just use Inktense watercolor pencils or...so many options other than the pastels, I'm sure.