West side


West side of studio
Pastel, 9" x 12"
9 May 2010

I was so pleased with last week's pastel that I decided to give them a go once a week. I spent the morning cutting overgrown limbs and vines. By the time I sat down the pastel I landed where I stood. Not the best composition but a comfy spot gazing on the leafing Rose of Sharons and budding Blue Hill Salvia along the west side of the studio.

I have boxes of pastel sticks and no budget for an new art materials but when I do, I'll be buying bunches of pastel pencils. Already my sticks have lost their edge and I feel like I'm working with big fat thumbs. Very difficult to make details and carve out value with crude marks (I'm sure there are ways around the technicalities) but I'll have to fumble my way through as I learn. The point was to draw with intense color.

There's the other matter of paper. Love working on colored paper but I'll have to learn which color is best for which picture. All that to say this is the best I could do for today. Not great, not too bad. A random yard glimpse that reminds me a bit of Fairfield Porter — not the style but the subject.

I enjoy spending time making pictures in the yard that I work so hard to clean up!
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post? Please subscribe right now!

Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America.

6 comments:

Art with Liz said...

Oh I am glad I've found your blog again Suzanne. Don't know why I lost it, but it's back on my blog roll!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hi Liz! Glad you found your way back, too. It was very quiet over here for a while as I transitioned - which has taken me longer than expected. Happy to hear from you.

RHCarpenter said...

Lovely, fresh greens, Suzanne. After that work in the yard, it must be a joy to create the cleaned area in pastels like this. You have a real talent for them and the colors are vibrant.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thank you, Rhonda. I always appreciate your kind words. A bit crude, this attempt, but action is critical, regardless of the result!

RHCarpenter said...

I'm sure you know more about pastel painting than I, but I like the less polished look of this - it shows the hand of the artist in the strokes of colors :)

Suzanne McDermott said...

I know nothing (Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind) but you're sweet and I appreciate you! Thanks.