In the Shade


In the Shade
Pastel, 9" x 12"
23 May 2010


This is my last stab at pastels for now. I picked them up because I wanted to draw in color. Alas, I find myself stabbing, fumbling, blowing and swearing.

I started in on this thinking - it's a weekend discipline. Do it even if you don't want to. So I did. It's possible that my frustration is with scale. If I use pastels again, I may have to work on a larger scale. Or grind them up and use them with another tool. I love the richness of color but not my clumsy process. Onward!

Old drawings of same Oakleaf Hydrangeas.

____________________________________________

Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle

| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America

4 comments:

Hazel said...

:)) Hahaha. Don't worry. The drawing still looks good. Maybe just a little more practice with pastels and you'll get the hang of it. Everyone always does. :)

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks, Hazel. I do like the way it looks but not the process much. We'll see. I may have forgotten all about the struggle by next week!

AK said...

Your work is not at all clumsy. It is brilliant!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Okay, AK. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!