High and Dry


Backyard
Pastel, 9" x 12"
2 May 2010


One thing I love about my property is the deep back yard. Until I have to mow it with my rotary push mower.

It's a great work out until about the last quarter when I often feel like I'll pass out or have a heart attack. On Friday, I could not let the chore go because rain was predicted all weekend and I'd never be able to mow if the grass grew any higher. So I forced myself to finish the job.

And rain it did. Record breaking, emergency rescue, highway closing flood rain.

Through it all, I thanked my lucky stars that my house is on high ground and that I dug a good french drain in front of my studio. At the end of this very wet weekend, primed for scribbling, I found a pad of pastel paper, set out boxes of pastels and enjoyed my well watered, relatively newly mown lawn.

See older watercolors of my backyard at Landscape into Art and drawings, too.
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post? Please subscribe right now!

Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by Email! Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!

8 comments:

Mineke Reinders said...

What a lush, green world you live in. Love the bits of blue peaking through in this pastel. Wonderful.
I'm glad to hear you and your house are OK after all this rain.

Your new site is looking great! Congratulations.

RHCarpenter said...

Oh, that just screams, Spring!!! I love the way the greens vibrate against the blues.
And we, too, had the rains and flooding (not on our property but around the areas to the south and north). Feast or famine. A rotary push mower? I told my Sweetie I wanted one of those - he just gave me a look at said, "Are you insane?" Since he does the mowing, I guess I am! ha ha

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Suzanne! your work is gorgeous...

M.E.Edge
MMA '71

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks, Mineke — I do live in a lush, green world and am very grateful! So glad you came over.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Rhonda, I don't even have to see you Sweetie's face. I know what it looked like!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thanks, M.E. Glad you came by!

Sandy Maudlin said...

Push rotary mowers are the best way to really mow a lawn properly - so you deserve lots of applause from your grass. And the pastel is luscious...I can hear the grass growing in the painting. Blue skies...and don't fertilize unless you want more of a workout! So good to have you back blogging, too:-)

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thank you, Ssandy!! I'm so glad you came over. I've been feeling bereft.

No fertilizer in my life (except for the organic food I feed my perennials). And you're right about the rotary being best for the grass. If the grass can applaud, do you think I might train it to mow itself?

Glad you like the pastel. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Enjoyed making it, too.