Front Door Panel


Front Studio Door, Panel 1
Pastel, 6 x 11.5 inches
16 May 2010


I'm enjoying this new Sunday habit of fumbling with pastel sticks and washing my hands many, many times. As soon as I finish writing this, I'm going for some Udderly Smooth — THE best skin cream in the world.

It rained most of the day so I scouted for the best window view. This is the current scene out one panel of my front studio door. At bottom right corner is the backside of a New York City Public Library Lion (sculpted by Edward Clark Potter). A pair of (chipped) bookends scored for ten bucks in the clearance section of the Met in the early 90's serve as my studio Fu Dogs.

As I was chunking away trying to make delicate lines with hunks of pastel sticks I realized that there is probably more than one book on a shelf around here with clear instructions on how to properly use pastels. One day, I'll poke around and see what I can find. I'm sure I will be enlightened. The first order of business will be how to sharpen stick edges although I'm afraid I'll learn that that is the point of pastel pencils. No pun intended.

Either I can spend time reading and researching or I can spend time doing. I do not currently have time to do both so I'm doing.

I am happy to report that on Saturday night, I laid out a watercolor palette for the first time in I don't know how long. Have been playing with some small pieces and am working on a very large piece. We'll see how it turns out.
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America

2 comments:

Hazel said...

That's pretty~! I love pastels. They're my favourite art instrument. :)
You use it so well. :D

Suzanne McDermott said...

Thank you, dear!