Crowning


Crowning
Watercolor, 7 x 10 inches
23 May 2010
$75 (to purchase email me)


I dove into this watercolor immediately after finishing the last pastel with the first paper to hand. Stinky hot pressed Arches.

If you followed My Great Day blog with any regularity, you'll know that I've felt akin to traditional Chinese Painting style in my work since 2006.

The other day, I was reading Jerome Silbergeld's introduction to Chinese Painting Style: Media, Methods, and Principles of Form.

Silbergeld describes so elegantly some of the notions that I was reaching for in last week's watercolor post (and other posts on my painting process) that I'll share an excerpt from that introduction.
"Painting is a language. Emerging from the partly conscious, partly unconscious interior of the artist, it reaches us through the somewhat controlled, somewhat chance manipulaiton of brush, pigments, and ground. The visually delivered message plays on our experience and imagination with all the power of a verbal language, arousing feelings and thoughts, memories and imagination, and releasing stores of mental energy. In our personal encounter with painting, there may be no need to translate this language into any other, no need to transform visual images into words. The visual image is a self-sufficient reality which verbal translation can do no better than very crudely approximate. ...

When writing, poets need not have their thoughts fixed on parts of speech and punctuation, yet they cannot do without them. When painting, artists need not have foremost in mind concepts like tone and texture, plasticity and perspective, yet they apply them all of the time, and have probably learned to look at the world with a heightened appreciation of nature's own colors, textures, and patterns. Both the skilled poet and the master painter apply their grammar intuitively, but only because they have mastered it through repeated study and practice." — Jerome Silbergeld, Chinese Painting Style
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Chinese Painting. Silbergeld infuses his study with compassionate understanding of the creative process.

____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America

8 comments:

Hazel said...

Wow. Where did you buy the book? xD

Suzanne McDermott said...

Onlne, Hazel. You can click on the title!

Margaret Bednar said...

I find you blog absolutely fascinating - you totally inspire me and I am looking forward to my morning coffee and going through your blog. So very interesting!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Well, Margaret. I cannot tell you how much I needed to read that right this minute. Thanks for your appreciation. I hope you enjoyed your morning coffee!

jader resende said...

Olá Suzanne.
Extraordinárias suas aquarelas, parabens.

caseytoussaint said...

I think that the paragraphs you quote are applicable to most painting styles. Thank you for posting them!
I love your gorgeous loose and colorful landscape style, as I've said many times before..

Suzanne McDermott said...

Olá Jader! Good to meet you. Thanks for your kind comments — I appreciate them.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hi Casey! I think you're right about the quote and glad you appreciated it. Thanks for your encouragement.