Ardea herodias


Pen and ink
8 May 2010


The Great Blue Heron is fortunate that it nests high up in trees and not along the shoreline.  There are Great Blue Herons at Radnor Lake near my house and sometimes we have visitors who perch in the walnut trees across the alley.

Still, these Herons hunt for aquatic creatures all along the Gulf of Mexico shores and will inevitably be affected by the oil gushing into the Gulf.  Read today's statement on Gulf Coast birds by Frank Gill, interim president of Audubon.

Not the most pleasant sound, you can hear their calls by clicking here and here.

I just learned that Liz Pearson is making beautiful paintings of birds these days.  Visit her blog to see.

____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.
Learn How To Throw A Big Draw In Your Neighborhood!
Visit Drawing America

6 comments:

Art with Liz said...

Oh my gosh Suzanne, you are so special giving me that punt! I was feeling a bit down and wondering if it was all worth it, and then I read your post. Thank you so much.

I am so enjoying your drawings and found that last post on Entering Unknown very insightful and am so glad you do find time to draw and paint.

Dawn said...

very nice Suzanne! GB Herons should be our state bird, we have so many!

Suzanne McDermott said...

Dear Liz, I'm delighted to have given you a punt. (Love that rarely heard term!) We all need regular punts and you are excellent at giving them yourself.

You have to be a friend to have a friend and I'm afraid I haven't the capacity to be a social networking butterfly. But you do and I so appreciate your attention. Your bird paintings, too! I think they're your best work.

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hey Dawn! Good to know your GB Herons are thriving! They're splendid and whacky!

Hazel said...

Very nice lines and curves.
Birds are so pretty. They're so interesting. I had a parrot once. It died. xDD :]

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hi, Hazel! Sorry about your parrot. Thank you for forcing me to look up the meaning of XD. I suddenly feel young and hip. A passing fancy.