Riding the Wave


If you're not riding the wave of change, you'll find yourself beneath it.
As for my own surfing, let's just say that when the waves start pushing 10 feet, I get this tremendous urge to make a sandwich.  —Bruce Jenkins
At this time, I am in the home stretch of editing a book project with a release date that is coming right up, have committed myself to posting twice a week to two blogs, am preparing for half a dozen new drawing students, taken on a demanding temporary job, applied for a more permanent job and am itching to pick up my drawing pen and paints.

Just the other day I thought, what I'd really like to do is lay around and read a book.

Many of us find ourselves in acutely or chronically demanding schedules.  Meeting the basic physiological and security needs of the Maslow Hierarchy can pull us into a reactive state of busyness and unconscious panic. Busyness can begin to provide a perverse sense of security and panic can make us freeze, like a deer in the headlights.

My practice during this demanding time is to keep myself in the moment as best I can. I am allowing myself to prioritize and reevaluate several times a day, remembering to breathe, eat right and exercise. I insist on my morning routine.

If I am not accomplishing as much as I think I should be, I remind myself that I am taking action every day (and that using the word should is a red flag).  Even taking a little action every day amounts to a lot in the long run.

Now, it's time to rest!
____________________________________________
Enjoy this post?  Please subscribe right now!
 

Subscribe by RSS     Subscribe by Email!    Add to iGoogle
| More


Visit the source at Suzanne McDermott

Take some Basic Drawing Lessons.

No comments: