Before the first mowing



Before the first mowing
April 2008
Watercolor on Fabriano cold press paper, 5 x 7"
on hold for exhibit


In the midst of a rainy two weeks, I took advantage of one sunnyish afternoon to capture this scene as the crowns of some of the trees were just beginning to leaf out. While looking at this, I decided that the red-tipped photinia to the left of the leyland cypress was not a color that I liked in that spot. It took away from the pretty pink of the dogwood about to flower behind it. If you've been following along, you'll already know that I've moved it to where the hackberry was removed and once it's recovered from the shock, I think it will look quite nice in its new spot.

As you can imagine, looking at the length of this lawn, the first mowing was a VERY big chore though I got a lot of good exercise.

You can see my sketch After the first mow then listen to my song Terminal up for the weekend at My Great Day.

My songs and CDs

7 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

How lovely and spring-like! It has that "bite" of spring color :) I'm catching up with some of my favorite blogs after being away a while and had to check in and see what you've been up to.

Suzanne said...

I'm so glad to hear from you, Rhonda! Thanks for your comment. I'll come over to see what you're up to.

Sandy Maudlin said...

Suzanne, This is one of my favorites. I can just about smell the grass. Nice job.

Suzanne said...

Thanks, Sandy! That means a lot, coming from you!

Sharon said...

Lovely painting. Looking at all that's published on your blog, I see that all your paintings have a yellow-green basis. Is this just seasonal?

Suzanne said...

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your comments and for looking through my blog. You're right - there is a lot of yellow green in my paintings - especially in those of my back yard. I hadn't really thought about how much it shows up - it's an ever-present color in my environment, even in the winter. I wouldn't say it's a basis of my paintings but it's all around me and a color that I like, so bound to show up frequently - especially in the landscapes!

Mineke Reinders said...

I can only repeat what's been said, love that fresh yellow-green spring feeling in this. The touches of gray make it come even more alive, wonderful!